Mr. Ian B. Mallender - Managing Director of YHE - supplied the following Company Profile shortly after taking over OMEC Engineering Solutions, but please see note at end of the profile.
"Yorkshire Heavy Engineering Ltd (Formerly trading as OMEC Engineering Solutions Ltd)
Moor Lane Trading Estate
Sherburn in Elmet
Leeds LS25 6ES
The business was established in 1975, on its current site, initially to provide a heavy engineering service to the local coal mining industry and rapidly established a strong reputation for manufacture, repair and refurbishment of mobile and static plant, both surface and underground. Following changes to the market we have since applied our expertise into other heavy process industries and utilities such as power generation, primary metals manufacture, industrial chemicals, minerals processing and many others.
Today and as always Yorkshire Heavy Engineering’s greatest asset is our loyal and highly skilled team of platers, welders, machinists, mechanical fitters and electricians. Quality is assured. Our team will meet your urgent deadlines and shutdown requirements by operating 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and by operating flexible holiday arrangements. We have the skills and abilities to deliver the complete heavy engineering service
• Single high bay workshop extending to 6,970m2
• Overhead cranes to 50 tonnes single lift, 100 tonnes multiple lift
• Total site area, including yard storage, of 2ha
• Fully integrated in house facilities for heavy fabrication, machining, assembly, shot blast and painting
• Excellent access to major road network (A1M, M1 and M62) with easy access to major UK ports
• Complex steel fabrications up to 50 tonnes
• Competent in carbon steel and other specialist materials
• Cutting and welding of plate up to 300 mm thick
• MIG, MAG, MMA and submerged arc welding
• Weld reclamation
• Very large and heavy machining capability
• Full range of turning, boring, milling and drilling machines
• Vertical boring up to 10.6m diameter by 3.6m high
• Turning up to 3.7m diameter by 10.6m long
• Final assembly of large machines
• Trial assembly for compatibility and testing, utilizing single large bay serviced by high headroom overhead cranes
• Covered pits to permit working on large assemblies
• Electrical department to assist in full assembly service
• Controls sequencing and machine running tests at standard and high voltages
• Autocad computer aided draughting
• Design and structural calculations
• Full project management
• Quality system follows ISO 9001:2000
• Production personnel are skilled, apprentice trained, engineering craftsmen
• Welding to EN 287/288 or ASME 9
• Non destructive testing by dye penetrant, MPI and X-ray, all carried out by qualified personnel
• Full materials, process and operative traceability
• Comprehensive service of examination, repair and refurbishment to strict cost constraints
• Works manufacture or on site response
• Rapid response to breakdowns by spare parts manufacture or machine repair
• Planned repairs or refurbishment to correspond with shut down restrictions
• On site erection of our own and third party manufactured equipment
• Maintenance, repair and shutdown work completed
• Procedures and approvals to permit underground, over water, high level and confined spaces erection
• Safe systems of work adhered to by our highly competent workforce, experienced under CDM Regulations and various
client’s own safety management systems
• Coal mining
• Civil engineers
• Quarries and minerals processing
• Waste handling and processing
• Power generation (hydro and thermal)
• Metals production and processing (steel and aluminium)
• Process plant engineers
• Bridge builders
• Water and utilities companies
COMPANY INFORMATION in Summer 2009
Company registration number 6757005
VAT registration number 942525230
Managing Director Mr Ian Mallender
Director / Company Secretary Mr Tony Lockey
Sales & technical contact Michael Keegan General Manager
Production contact Richard Cooper Production Control
Mining sales contact ----- Russ Birks ----- Works Manager
Estimating contact ----- Colin Silver ----- Estimator
Engineering contact ----- Mike Penrice ----- Projects Manager
Quality Assurance ----- Steve Fielding ----- Quality Manager
In recent years YHE have won contracts for repairs on a number of bridges, including
Cawood Swing Bridge - structural repairs to approach spans during closure period.
Humber Bridge - fabrication of 488 handstrand cable posts and handstrand cable tower top anchorages.
Sutton Weaver Bridge - replacement brackets and decking to pedestrian walkways
Selby Old Toll Bridge - modifications to nose rests and structural repairs.
Winnington Swing Bridge - supply and installation of nose wedging system.
A1/M1 Link - River Aire Flyover - on site reinforcement to main structural beams
Medge Hall Swing Bridge - replacement of main support pintle bearing assembly.
Red Road Bascule Bridge - supply and install replacement hydraulic rams and hoisting mechanism.
YHE has also fabricated several swing bridges as sub-contractors to Morrison Construction who until recently had an Omnibus Contract with British Waterways. Bridges manufactured by YHE (including work undertaken under the previous trading name of OMEC Engineering Solutions Ltd) include
Patch Swing Bridge on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal.
Hirst Mill Swing Bridge
Finch Mill Swing Bridge
Rodley Swing Bridge all on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. "
Yorkshire Heavy Engineering was closed down in 2010 due to substantial debt problems. Some of the former employees - who had formed the nucleus of the staff of the original company OMEC - have established a new company - XTAG UK Ltd trading as OMEC UK - the original name of the company. They have acquired part of the old site and some of the machinery on the site and are rebuilding the business.