Stewart Marchant; John Crompton, August 2004; 02/06/2009
The bridge is known locally as 'Blue Bridge'.
Accoridng to Institute of Civil Engineers HEW record no. 1317 this is the only major bascule bridge in North Wales.
John Crompton reports that the current bascule bridge replaced a retracting bridge built in 1899. The abutments and toll cottage from that bridge are still in place.
Phil Pritchard reports -
There is a film of the grand opening of this bridge on the Pathe News website. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-new-gateway-to-wales-cuts
The bridge cost £80,000 and was opened by the Minister of Transport Colonel Wilfred Ashley MP on the 29th November 1926.
Phil adds that the red / green / yellow indicator was put on the bridge pillar for the barge that takes the airbus 380 wings from Broughton to Mostyn Docks for export to Toulouse.
||John Crompton; Phil Pritchard
|Related Website :